Thursday, November 8, 2012

Common's uncommonly good memoir...

Hello all...
After a some time away from this blog (I've been concentrating on my other blog, Facets of Creativity, plz go and check it out...) and welcoming a new baby girl into the world, I'm back and just recently finished Common's memoir, One Day It'll Make Sense, that he wrote with Adam Bradley. I have to say, it was a really good and very enlightening read.
I already knew of Common back when he was called Common Sense and his first album, Can I Borrow a Dollar? came out. It was cool because finally there was a Hip-Hop artist out of Chicago, which was very close to me since I grew up in NWI, so his book filled in a lot of blanks and revealed a lot of the Common, the artist and Rashid Lynn, the man.
He's had many albums out, my fave being 2000's Like Water For Chocolate, and gained major notoriety as a recording artist and an actor. His success wasn't overnight and the book details the beginnings of his life and career and how he got to where he is today.
Each chapter started with a letter written to someone close to him and the story told in the chapter reflected the content of the letter, kind of like a teaser at the beginning of a TV show. He talks about his beef with Ice Cube, how he was forced to shorten his stage name to Common and how he got his first acting gig.
If you enjoy Common's music or his acting, you should definitely pick this book up and learn more about him.







No comments:

Post a Comment