Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Day Post...

At work today, a co-worker was telling a group of us about her brother-in-law who said, while his prematurely born child lay in the hospital fighting for thier life: "don't worry about children, you can always get more kids, you can't get another spouse."
Does anybody else find this deeply twisted and distrurbing besides me?
The sad part is, a lot of men have similar attitudes towards children, their own or the children of the woman they're dating. They'd rather deal with the woman and leave the kids behind.
Guys or even some women, with this mentality are missing the point: women and their children are one complete package. You can't have one without the other. If you love (or even reasonably like) the woman, you love or reasonably like the child.
Motherhood is a very big and sometimes scary thing. Ideally, it's supposed to be a man and woman together in marriage raising children and training them to become good and decent, God fearing people. More often than not in the beginning of the 21st Century, women are raising children by themselves without the fathers there, but prayerfully, with a support system of family and friends to help. I could go into the whole topic of how fathers need to step up and be there for their children, but that's a whole other post...and this is about the mothers.
A lot of us don't really know what women go through to raise their kids, what kind of sacrifices have to be made and the like. I watched my mother after my parents divorced and both of my sisters struggle as the father's of their children left them in a lurch and have to fend for themselves. I have some idea, but I have no illusion that I know empirically. I do know this though, I appreciate my mother doing what she could for me and my sisters for being good examples of what women should be even in a difficult position. I appreciate them and love them and respect them. They inspire me to be there for my children (When I have them...) and my wife and treat her like the queen she is and cherish her.
In closing, I just want to say Thank you Corrie J. Sherrod for bringing me into the world and helping me, even now, navigate through it. I love you now, Mom, and I always will.
Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment